STORIES OF THE PROPHETS (قـصـص الأنـبـيــاء)
Prophet Idris (إدريس)
(Aleyhis Salam – peace be upon him)
Who was he?
- His English name was either Enoch or Khunoch
- Born while Adam was still to live 380 years
- Grandfather of Prophet Nuh
The first man
- To be sent as a Prophet after Adam and Seth
- To write with a pen
- To wear a stitched clothing
- To think about astronomy (study of heavenly bodies) علم الفلك
Was he a prophet?
- Allah revealed to him 30 Scriptures. “I would raise for you every day the same amount of the deeds as of all Adam’s children.” (perhaps in his time only)
- “And mention in the Book Idris, he was a truthful prophet. And We raised him high in the heaven.” [Maryam 19:56-57]
Idris wanted to increase his deeds and devotion
- His angel friend visited him and Idris asked him to talk to the angel of death not to take his soul yet because he wants to increase his deeds.
- His angel friend carried him on his wings up to the heaven till they reached the 4th
- They met the angel of death there, who was descending down to the earth.
- His angel friend spoke to the angel of death about Idris.
- The angel of death asked: “But where is Idris?”
- His angel friend said: “He is upon my back.”
- The angel of death said: “How astonishing! I was told to seize his soul in the 4th I kept thinking how I could seize it in the 4th when he was on the earth?”
- Then he took his soul there out of his body, and that is what is meant by the verse: “… and We raise him high in the heaven.”
- He lived for 83 years
[Source: Stories of the Prophets/Darussalam]