AN-NASĪR (النَّصِيرُ) The Ever-Helping
AN-NᾹṢR (الناصر) The Ultimate Helper
KHAYRUN NᾹSIRĪN (خير الناصرين) The Best of Helpers
N’IMAN NASĪR (نِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ) Excellent Helper
The noun NASR (help, victory) includes help against an oppressor and help when wanting to overpower someone else. AN-NASR is the One who backs, strengthens, defends, helps, supports and aids His believing slaves. The help of Allah (Nasrullah) cannot be equaled to any other kind of help because His NASR is the most perfect and appropriate. Help comes from Him alone and no one else.
The Prophet (ﷺ) said: “…Allah is helping the servant as long as the servant is helping his brother.” [Muslim]. Allah says: “O you who believe! If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm.” [Muhammad 47:7]. When victory comes after a long struggle and many hardships, praise Allah, thank Him and seek His forgiveness. Say “Subhanallah, Alhamdulillah, Astaghfirullah” anytime anywhere.
- … and sufficient is Allah as an ally, and sufficient is Allah as a helper. [An-Nisa 4:45]
- And Allah is most knowing of your enemies; and sufficient is Allah as an ally, and sufficient is Allah as a helper. (وَاللَّهُ أَعْلَمُ بِأَعْدَائِكُمْ وَكَفَىٰ بِاللَّهِ وَلِيًّا وَكَفَىٰ بِاللَّهِ نَصِيرًا) [An-Nisa 4:45]
- Say: “Who is he who can protect you from Allah if He intends to harm you, or intends mercy on you?” And they will not find besides Allah, for themselves any protector or any helper.” [Al-Ahzab 33:17]
- But if they turn away – then know that Allah is your Protector. Excellent is the Protector, and Excellent is the Helper. (وَإِنْ تَوَلَّوْا فَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ مَوْلَاكُمْ نِعْمَ الْمَوْلَىٰ وَنِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ) [Al-Anfal 8:40]
- … and hold fast to Allah. He is your Protector; and Excellent is the Protector, and Excellent is the Helper. [Al-Hajj 22:78]
But Allah is your protector, and He is the Best of Helpers. (بَلِ اللَّهُ مَوْلَاكُمْ وَهُوَ خَيْرُ النَّاصِرِينَ) [Ali Imran 3:150]
The types of NASRULLAH as described by the scholars
- Deserved victory with the Islamic faith and obedience. The Muslims obeyed Allah in the Battle of Badr Allah and they won.
- Undeserved victory with faith other than Islam and obedience. Allah gives victory to a certain group according to His wisdom.
- Ultimate victory which is usually seen by many as a failure but in reality they are the true winners by being firm in their faith. The people of the ditch in Surah Al-Buruj were killed in masses and the hairdresser of Fir’awn’s daughter was thrown in boiling oil together with her children. They gained the pleasure of Allah and rewarded with Paradise.
- Audio: Explaining the Names of Allah by Dr. Fadi Yousef Kablawi (Abu Ubeidah Al-Maqdisi): Part 79 (An-Nasr, An-Nasir)
- Article: The Beautiful Names of Allah (An-Nasir 1 and An-Nasir 2) by Dr. Ratib An-Nabulsi
- Article: With the Divine: Part 71 (An-Nasir) by Jinan Yousef
- An-Nasir 1, An-Nasir 2 is not among the names of Allah [The Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta]
- An-Nasr is not among the names of Allah [Dr. Bilal Philips]