DHŪL JALĀLI WAL-IKRĀM (ذو الجلال والإكرام) Owner of Majesty and Generosity
AL-JALIL (الجليل) The Majestic
AL-IKRAM (الإكرام) The Generous
Linguistically, DHU is a demonstrative pronoun which means “with, in, on, or of” but in the holy Quran, DHU is translated as “Lord/Owner/Possessor of.” DHUL JALALI WAL-IKRAM is the One who is the owner of every blessing, perfection, honor and majesty. He is the source and bestower of majesty and generosity. He grants His creatures with honor and overflowing blessings: “… but if you count the favors of God, never will you be able to number them.” [Ibrahim14:34]. Allah has all the rights to be honored, glorified, and exalted because He has the complete possession of all the attributes of majesty, perfection, superiority, exaltation, greatness, sublimity. From Him all honors are derived and by Him only honor is granted. This name is a combination of His two beautiful attributes JALAL (glorious) and KARIM (generous). This name is mentioned in the holy Quran twice in the same Surah.
JALIL denotes greatness and loftiness in attributes like power, dominion, holiness, knowledge, wealth, etc. The One who combines all these attributes of majesty is called AL-JALIL. He is the One who is attributed with greatness of power and glory of status. He is is the owner and the source of all attributes of greatness and majesty.
- And there will remain the Face of your Lord, Owner of Majesty and Honor. [Ar-Rahman 55:27]
- Blessed is the name of your Lord, Owner of Majesty and Honor. [Ar-Rahman 55:78]
- Aishah (Radiyallahu Anha – may Allah be pleased with her) said: “When the Prophet (ﷺ) would say the Taslim (completing prayer), he would only sit as long as it takes him to say ALLAHUMMA ANTAS-SALAM WA MINKAS-SALAM TABARAKTA YA DHAL JALALI WAL IKRAM (اللهم أنت السلام ومنك السلام تباركت يا ذا الجلال والإكرام) O Allah! You are the Peace and peace comes from You. Blessed be You O Lord of Majesty and Glory. [Muslim]
- The Prophet (ﷺ) advised us to call on this name (and all His other names) for an effective Dua (supplication). He said: “Persist (in invoking Allah) with ‘YA DHAL JALALI WAL IKRAM.'” [Ahmad,An-Nasai]. Note: DHU changes to DHA when saying Dua.
- Audio: Explaining the Names of Allah by Dr. Fadi Yousef Kablawi (Abu Ubeidah Al-Maqdisi):Part 68 (Dhul Jalali Wal Ikram)