AL-HAYY (الحيُّ) The Ever-Living
AL-QAYYUM (القيُّوم) The All-Sustaining
AL-QA’IM (القائم) The Sustainer
AL-QAYYIM (القيم) The One Who Ensures Existence
AL-HAYY is the One who is undying, everlasting, eternally whole and sound. His life is absolutely perfect, beginning-less and endless. All life arises from Him and He calls all life into being. None of those worshiped beside Allah could be real gods for one simple reason that they do not possess the attribute of Allah’s perfect eternal life.
AL-QAYYUM is the One whose nature is to exist, who remains and does not end. He is free of any dependence on anything else for existence. He was not created by any other being and He requires nothing to maintain His existence. All things arise from Him and eternally managed aright by Him. AL-QA’IM is the One who stands perpetually present over all of creation. He takes charge in guarding, maintenance and provision.
These 2 names are often linked together to indicate that Allah’s existence is absolutely perfect. HAYY and QAYYUM express two aspects of One Life, HAYY for everlasting life and QAYYUM for self-existing life.
- Allah – there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence…. [Al-Baqarah 2:255]
- Allah – there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of existence. [Ali Imran 3:2]
- Faces will be humbled to the Living, the All-Sustaining. And anyone weighed down with wrongdoing will have failed. [Ta Ha 20:111]
- Anas ibn Malik (Radiyallahu Anhu – may Allah be pleased with him) relates that if any distress befell the Prophet (ﷺ), he would say: “YAHAYYU YA QAYYUM, BI-RAHMATIKA ASTAGHITH (O Living, O Sustaining, in Your Mercy I seek relief).” [Tirmidhi]
- Video: The Beautiful names of Allah (Al-Hayy, Al-Qayyum Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) by Shaykh Fadel Soliman
- Audio: Explaining the Names of Allah by Dr. Fadi Yousef Kablawi (Abu Ubeidah Al-Maqdisi): Part 58 (Al-Hayy)
- Audio: Explaining the Names of Allah by Dr. Fadi Yousef Kablawi (Abu Ubeidah Al-Maqdisi): Part 59 (Al-Qayyum)
- Article: With the Divine: Part 63 (Al-Hayy, Al-Qayyum) by Jinan Yousef