AR-RAHMAN (الرَّحْمَٰنُ) The All-Merciful
AR-RAHIM (الرحيم) The Specifically Merciful
ARHAMUR RAHIMIN (أَرْحَمُ الرَّاحِمِينَ) Most Merciful of All The Merciful
KHAYRUR RAHIMIN (خير الراحمين) Best of All The Merciful
DHUR RAHMAH (ذو الرحمة) Owner of Mercy
AR-RAHMAN is the One whose infinite mercy is continually showered upon all of creation, deserving or deserving, without any effort or request from them. His mercy includes all beings and He grants more rewards in response to one’s good actions. – “My Mercy embraces everything.” [Al-‘Araf 7:156]. His Mercy is the source of everything good in our life and all virtues stem from His boundless endless mercy.
AR-RAHIM is the One whose mercy is special only for the deserving. It indicates the constant renewal and giving of His generous rewards and gifts to those who believe in Him and hoping for salvation in the Hereafter. – “He is ever compassionate (Rahim) to the believers.” [Al-Ahzab 33:43]. No one except Allah is named or described as Ar-Rahman, but Ar-Rahim maybe used to describe others.
- Every Surah (chapter) in the holy Quran except for chapter 9 (At-Tawbah) begins with “Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim (In the name of Allah, The Merciful, The Compassionate).”
- Indeed, it is from Solomon, and indeed, it reads: “In the name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.” [An-Naml 27:30]
- “Say: He is Most Merciful God. We have believed in Him, and on Him we have put our trust. So soon will you know which (of us) it is that is in manifest error.” [Al-Mulk 67:29]
- [Moses] said, “My Lord, forgive me and my brother and admit us into Your mercy, for You are the Most Merciful of the Merciful.” [Al-A’raf 7:151]
- And, [O Muhammad], say, “My Lord, forgive and have mercy, and You are the Best of the Merciful.” [Al-Mu’minun 23:118]
- And your Lord is Most Forgiving, Owner of Mercy…. [Al-Kahf 18:58]
- Video: The Beautiful Names of Allah by Shaykh Fadel Soliman – (Ar-Rahman) and (Ar-Rahim)
- Article: The Beautiful Names of Allah (Ar-Rahman, Ar-Rahim) by Dr. Ratib An-Nabulsi