- Major pilgrimage, to set out for Ka’bah and perform specific rites from 8th through 13th of Dhul-Hijjah, the 12th month of Islamic calendar (Hijri).
- It is obligatory once in the life of a Muslim (if the conditions are met).
- The Prophet ﷺ performed Hajj once.
4 PILLARS (ARKAN) OF HAJJ
- Wuquf Arafat
- Tawaf Al-Ifadah
7 OBLIGATIONS (WAJIBAT) OF HAJJ
- Assuming Ihram from Miqat
- Staying at Arafat until sunset
- Spending the night in Muzdalifah
- Spending the nights of 10, 11 and 12 (optional) in Mina
- Stoning the Jamrah (plural: Jamarat/Jimar
- Shaving (for men only) or cutting the hair
- The farewell Tawaf (Tawaf Al-Wida)
SUMMARIZED RITES OF HAJJ مختصر أعمال الحاج
YAWM AT-TARWIYAH (DAY OF WATERING)
- It is so named tracing back to the fact that pilgrims (and their animals) used to drink water to fill their thirst in Makkah before proceeding to Mina, for there was no water in Mina during those times.
- It marks the very beginning of the rites of Hajj.
- Sunnah: It is one of the greatest days of Hajj because it is the day during which the pilgrims redo what our beloved Prophet ﷺ.
- He reached Mina where he performed Dhuhr, Asr, Isha, Maghrib and Fajr prayers. Narrated Abdulaziz Bin Rufai: I asked Anas Bin Malik (radiyallahu anhu), “Tell me what you remember from Allah’s Apostle (regarding these questions): Where did he offer the Dhuhr and Asr prayers on the day of Tarwiyah?” He replied, “He offered these prayers at Mina.” I asked, “Where did he offer the Asr prayer on the day of Nahr (i.e. departure from Mina on the 12th or 13th of Dhul-Hijjah)?” He replied, “At Al-Abtah,” and then added, “You should do as your chiefs do.” [Bukhari]
IHRAM (SECOND) FOR HAJJ
- Sunnah to enter the second Ihram from the place of stay in Makkah.
- Must assume Ihram before proceeding to Mina before noon (Dhuhr) prayer.
- Preferable to do Ghusl (even for the Ha-idh and Nufasa) before wearing Ihram clothes and having the Niyah for Hajj.
- Garments do not have to be new or clean (better if clean) but they are valid for Ihram.
- Niyyah for 2nd Ihram: لبيك اللهم بحج “Labbaikallahumma bi Hajj.” (O Allah I hear your call and am coming for Hajj).
- Perform 2 Rakah Nafl Salah for Ihram.
- Then leave for Mina, be there before noon (Duhr) and stay overnight.
- perform the 5 Salawat (Duhr, Asr, Maghrib, Isha and Fajr) there at their exact times.
- The four Rak’ah Salawat maybe shortened to 2 Rak’ah.
- Pilgrims should increase in saying Talbiyah, Du’a, Dhikr and Istighfar. No specific Dua, Dhikr or rite on this day.
- MINA: A town 5 miles east of Makkah.
- One of the sources of the name “Mina” comes from the Arabic word “Tamanna” (wish) because Adam wished for Paradise in Mina.
- After offering Fajr prayer, proceed to Arafat and be there after sunrise.
- For non-pilgrims, start saying the Takbirat after offering Fajr on this day.
- It was narrated that the Prophet ﷺ and a group of the Sahaba (radiyallahu anhum – may Allah be pleased with them) used to recite Takbir after the Salawat (obligatory prayers) from Fajr on the day of Arafah until Asr on the 13th day of Dhul Hijjah.
To be continued… Hajj Day 2: Dhul Hijjah 9