Day of Arafah
- Wuquf Arafah: It is the stopping at the plains of Arafah, the major rite of Hajj.
- Pray Duhr and Asr combined (Jamu) and shortened (Qasr) at the time of Duhr (Taqdim), with one Adhan and one Iqamah. Better to pray in Jama’ah (group).
- Spend the whole day until sundown by invoking Allah as much as you can, and face Qiblah during supplication.
- Jabal Ar-Rahmah (Mount of Mercy): a hill in the middle of the plain where some pilgrims climb up to say their supplications.
- Leaving Arafah before sunset is not correct.
SPECIAL DUA ON THIS DAY
لا اله الا الله وحده لا شريك له له الملك وله الحمد وهو على كل شيء قدير
- Transliteration: La i-la-ha il-lal-la-hu wah-da-hu la sha-ri-ka lahu la-hul mul-ku wa-la-hul ham-du wa-hu-wa ‘a-la kul-li shay-’in qa-dir
- Translation: There is no god except Allah alone, with no partners. To Him belongs the dominion and the praise and He is able to do all things.
- It is a vast, empty plain, a town about 14 miles outside Makkah.
- Before, it is treeless and barren, without any shelter from the blinding scorching sun and hot dessert. Now, there are already trees planted and thousands of tents have been erected for this occasion to shelter them.
- Why the name “ARAFAT”? Some say that when Adam was expelled from Paradise, he first arrived in this place where he met Eva (Hawa) …like Arrafah (introduction to each other).
THE FAREWELL SERMON خطبة الوداع
- After praising and thanking Allah, the Prophet ﷺ delivered his last sermon on this day, Dhul Hijjah 10 AH (632AD) in the Uranah valley, 72 days before his death.
- O People, lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether after this year, I shall ever be among you again. Therefore listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and TAKE THESE WORDS TO THOSE WHO COULD NOT BE PRESENT HERE TODAY.
- O People, just as you regard this month, this day, this city as Sacred, so regard the life and property of every Muslim as a sacred trust. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you.
- Remember that you will indeed meet your Lord, and that He will indeed reckon your deeds. ALLAH has forbidden you to take usury (interest), therefore all interest obligation shall henceforth be waived. Your capital, however, is yours to keep.
- You will neither inflict nor suffer any inequity. Allah has judged that there shall be no interest and that all the interest due to Abbas Ibn Abdul Muttalib (Prophet’s uncle) shall henceforth be waived.
- Beware of Satan, for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.
- O People, it is true that you have certain rights with regard to your women, but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your wives only under Allah’s trust and with His permission. If they abide by your right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers. And it is your right that they do not make friends with any one of whom you do not approve, as well as never to be unchaste.
- O People, listen to me in earnest, worship Allah, say your five daily prayers (Salah), fast during the month of Ramadan, and give your wealth in Zakat. Perform Hajj if you can afford to.
- All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood.
- Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves. Remember, one day you will appear before Allah and answer your deeds. So beware, do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone.
- O People, no prophet or apostle will come after me and no new faith will be born. Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the QURAN and my example, the SUNNAH and if you follow these you will never go astray.
- All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me directly. Be my witness, O Allah, that I have conveyed your message to your people.
MUSLIMS (NON-MUHRIMS) FAST ON THIS DAY
- The Day of Arafah (Dhul Hijjah 9) is the best of the best days.
- Fasting the day of Arafah expiates the (minor) sins of two years: a past one and a coming one. And fasting the day of Ashura expiates the sins of the past year. [Muslim]
- There is no day on which Allah frees people from the Fire as He does on the day of Arafah. He comes close (to those standing on Arafah) and then revels before His angels, saying: “What are these people seeking?” [Muslim]
MUHRIMS DO NOT FAST ON THIS DAY
- Allah made it easy for them. It is a day of Ad’iyah and Adh-kar. It is not even a day of Salah because Dhuhr and Asr are done Jamu Taqdim (combined advanced) and Qasr (shortened).
- They need energy to do Ibadat (worships). It is Makruh (disliked) for them to fast.
- It is like a day of Eid (feast) including the Ayyam At-Tashriq.
- FASTING IN TASHRIQ DAYS PERMISSIBLE ON CERTAIN CONDITIONS:
- If the Muhrim is fasting because there is no Hadi, he should fast 3 days before Hajj (meaning before 8th Dhul Hijjah).
- Due to some reasons, he finally intended to fast at the last hour, then he can fast on these days (for Hajj Qiran and Tamattu).
- In relation to Hajj rituals only.
GO TO MUZDALIFAH AFTER SUNSET
- MUZDALIFAH: A place between Mina and Arafat where the Mash-aril Haram Mosque is located.
- Upon arrival in Muzdalifah, offer Maghrib and Isha prayers in Jamu Ta’khir (combined late) and Qasr (shortened), with one Adhan and one Iqamah.
- Stay overnight and offer Fajr early.
- Permissible for the weak (women, old, ill, etc.) to leave Muzdalifah for Mina after midnight, so that they may reach Mina and complete Rami (stoning) before it becomes too crowded.
To be continued… Hajj Day 3: Dhul Hijjah 10