- Combining both Umrah and Hajj with a break in between, with separate Ihram.
- Perform Umrah first (first Ihram), a break in between… then perform Hajj (second Ihram).
- Minor pilgrimage, to set out for Ka’bah and perform specific rites.
- The Prophet ﷺ performed Umrah four times.
3 PILLARS (ARKAN) OF UMRAH
2 OBLIGATIONS (WAJIBAT) OF UMRAH
- Assuming Ihram from Miqat
- Shaving (for men only) or trimming the hair
SUMMARIZED RITES OF UMRAH مختصر أعمال العورة
NIYYAH: IHRAM (FIRST) FOR UMRAH
لبيك عمرة متمتعا بها إلى الحج فإن حبسني حابس فمحلي حيث حبستني
- Transliteration: lab-bay-ka um-ra-tam mu-ta-mat-ti-’am bi-ha i-lal hajj fa in-ha-ba-sa-ni ha-bi-sun fa-ma-hal-li hay-thu ha-bas-ta-ni
- Translation: O Allah! In response to Your call O Lord, I will perform Umrah first then Hajj but if am prevented by an obstacle, my place is where I am held up.
- Greetings of the Masjid
- Why: To show honor and respect for the places of worship.
- It is lawful to do at all times, including the forbidden times.
- It is a prayer that there is a reason to perform, like Salat At-Tawaf and Salat Al-Khusuf
- Correct view: to be performed at all of the times when prayer is (normally) prohibited, just like making up for an obligatory prayer which one has missed.
- It is a 2 unit Salah offered inside upon arrival.
- The Prophet said, إِذَا دَخَلَ أَحَدُكُمُ الْمَسْجِدَ فَلاَ يَجْلِسْ حَتَّى يُصَلِّىَ رَكْعَتَيْنِ – “Whenever one of you enter the Masjid he must not sit down until he prays two Rak’ah.” [Bukhari]
- The majority of the scholars hold it as recommended Sunnah and not obligatory.
- With the exception of Masjid Al-Haram, the Tahiyyat is “Tawaf” esp. the very first time, meaning Tawaf Al-Qudum (arrival Tawaf). After that, it is optional to do Tawaf or a 2 unit Salah as Tahiyyat.
- Tawaf: 7 times counter-clockwise circumambulations of the Ka’bah, with the “Black Stone” as the starting and ending point.
- It is the pilgrim’s first obligation upon arriving in Makkah, after taking care of his accommodation and physical necessities
- He is to go the Ka’bah and perform certain prescribed acts of worship following the example of the Prophet ﷺ
- He enters the Sacred Mosque by one of its doors, with a supplication for God’s peace and blessings
- Then he moves toward the Ka’bah in order to perform the first of the rites.
- There is no specific supplication that must be read during Tawaf.
TYPES OF TAWAF
1. Tawaf Al-Qudum
- It is the initial Tawaf as a Tahiyyatul Masjid when pilgrims enter Masjidul Haram for the first time.
- Men (only) will do Raml (fast walking like jogging) on the first 3 rounds in this Tawaf only.
- This is the only time that men do Idtiba (leaving the right arm uncovered, by taking the sheet under the right armpit).
- Idtiba should be done just before Tawaf and not long before.
- The recitation of Talbiyyah ends with the commencing of Tawaf.
2. Tawaf Al-Ifadah
- It is the main Tawaf to be done on Dhul Hijjah 10.
3. Tawaf Al-Wida
- It is the last rite to done just before departure.
4. Tawaf An-Nafl
- It is an extra Tawaf that can be done anytime, with or without Ihram.
13 CONDITIONS (SHURUT) OF TAWAF
- Determined intention
- Passing of the beginning of the time of Tawaf
- Covering one’s Awrah
- Cleanliness (from minor and major impurities): No Wudu, no Tawaf
- Completing 7 rounds making sure that 7 is completed
- The Ka’bah on the left side
- Walking forward not backward
- Walking for those who are able
- Making Tawaf continuously
- Doing it inside the mosque
- Starting from the Black Stone (and ending it there)
DUA AT HAJARUL ASWAD
- Transliteration: Al-la-hu ak-bar
- Translation: Allah is the greatest.
- The Prophet ﷺ circled the Kabah on a camel, every time he reached the Black Stone, he would point to it with his staff and say: “Allah is the greatest.” [Bukhari No# 1612, 1613, 1632]
DUA FROM YEMENI CORNER TO BLACK STONE
رَبَّـنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِي الآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ
- Transliteration: Rab-ba-na a-ti-na fid-dun-ya ha-sa-nah wa-fil a-khi-ra-ti ha-sa-nah wa-qi-na a-dha-ban nar
- Translation: O our Lord! Grant us the best in this life and best in the next life, and protect us from the punishment of the fire. [Al-Baqarah 2:201]
MAQAM IBRAHIM (ABRAHAM’S STATION)
- The stone on which Prophet Ibrahim stood while building the Ka’bah, with his first son, Prophet Ismail. Now situated about 10 yards from the Ka’bah covered with a glass box.
- Sunnah: Praying Rak’atin behind it (first Rak’ah recite Surah Al-Kafirun and the second, Surah Al-Ikhlas). You can recite any Surah, however. If it is not possible, then any place in the Masjid. To be done after Tawaf
- Recommended to drink Zamzam water afterwards to refresh. Sunnah to drink to your fill.
- Go to a nearby 2 hills near Ka’bah within the compound of the mosque which is Safa and Marwah to perform Sa’iy, now separated by a long, marble-lined corridor.
- Why? In commemoration of Hajr’s hurried search for water at this site.
- It is walking briskly back and forth between these 2 hills 7 times (Shawt) starting from Safa and ending in Marwah.
- Start Sa’iy by going up the hill called SAFA, face the Qiblah, raise your hand towards the sky and say the Dua. Do the same in Marwah.
- Between the 2 green columns/pole/lights, this is the fast-walking area for men only
- The Sa’iy length is approximately half kilometer each Shawt, so the total 7 Ashwat is around 3.5 kms.
- Without Wudu, you can perform Sa’iy.
DUA AT SAFA AND MARWAH
- Recite the Dua below on top of both Safa and Marwah by facing Qiblah.
إِنَّ الصَّفا وَالمَروَةَ مِن شَعائِرِ اللَّهِ ۖ فَمَن حَجَّ البَيتَ أَوِ اعتَمَرَ فَلا جُناحَ عَلَيهِ أَن يَطَّوَّفَ بِهِما ۚ وَمَن تَطَوَّعَ خَيرًا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ شاكِرٌ عَليمٌ
Transliteration: ʾin-naṣ ṣa-fā wal-mar-wa-ta min sha-ʿā-ʾi-ril-lā-hi fa-man haj-jal bay-ta ʾa-wi ʿ-ta-ma-ra fa-lā-ju-nā-ḥa ʿa-lay-hi ʾay-yaṭ-ṭaw-wa-fa bi-hi-mā wa-man ta-ṭaw-wa-ʿa khay-ran fa-ʾin-nal-lā-ha shā-ki-run ʿa-līmun
- Translation: Indeed, Safa and Marwah are among the symbols of Allah. So whoever makes Hajj to the House or performs Umrah, there is no blame upon him for walking between them. And whoever volunteers good, then indeed, Allah is Appreciative and Knowing. [Al-Baqarah2:158]
HALQ WA TAQSIR (SHAVING OR CLIPPING THE HAIR)
- Shaving or trimming the hair for men (in the barber shops).
- Trimming all the hair ends for women (in their accommodations).
- To be done after Sa’iy.
RELEASING IHRAM (TAHALLUL)
- Everything forbidden is now permitted.
To be continued… Hajj Day 1: Dhul Hijjah 8