THE STORY OF ZAMZAM WATER ماء زمزم
- Prophet Ibrahim (aleyhis salam) came to Makkah with his wife Hajr and their baby Ismail and left his family there on Allah’s orders.
- Hajr and Ismail consumed all the water and Ismail started to cry. She was helpless, and started running from the top of one hill AL-SAFA to the next AL-MARWAH in search of help. She did that 7 times.
- She returned to Ismail when she heard a voice. She asked the voice for help, that voice was Jibril’s voice. He hit the ground and water came out. Hajar covered the hole with sand to prevent the water from spilling out. That was Zamzam water.
- A caravan was passing by the valley and noticed birds hovering around the water, which was never present before, so they requested Hajr’s permission to camp near the water. This marked the beginning of Makkah. Civilization increased further after Ibrahim and Ismail built the Holy Mosque.
- The Jurhum tribe was the historical custodian of the Holy Mosque until the Khuza’ah tribe took over. Around 5AD, Qusay Ibn Kilab was the custodian of the Holy Mosque and Zamzam. Unfortunately the well was neglected and was eventually buried. Abdul Muttalib Ibn Hashim, the grandfather of Prophet, through a dream, dug the well once more. He dug after the event of the elephant and Zamzam water emerged once again.
AHADITH ABOUT ZAMZAM
- The Prophet ﷺ said, “The most sublime of all earthly waters is that of Zamzam; therein one finds food for the hungry and medicine for the ill.” [At-Tabarani]
- Ibn Abbas and his father (radiyallahu anhuma) narrated that the Prophet ﷺ said, “The water of Zamzam is the best water on earth, it has the feed of hunger and the recovery of illness.” [Sahih Al-Jami]. Meaning: Feed of hunger: as if someone eats until he is satisfied. Recovery of illness: By the Grace of Allah and His Power, Zamzam water heals illness.
- Jabir Ibn Abdullah (radiyallahu anhu) narrated that the Prophet ﷺ said, “Zamzam water is for the purpose for which it was drunk.”
- Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (radiyallahu anhu), on drinking from Zamzam used to say: “Oh Lord, I drink Zamzam for the thirst of the Day of Judgment.”
WHY THE NAME “ZAMZAM”?
- Zamzam was so named because of the abundance of its water
- It was also said because it collects
- Another reason was that Hajr said: “Zamzam” which means stay in one place
- There are other opinions
- Other names of Zamzam: The drink of Ismael from Allah, The Lady, The Blessing, The Useful, The Tidings, The Pure, The Preventive, The Faultless, The Fortunate, The Blessed, The Satiable, The Healthy, The Nourishment, The Clean, The Potable
DRINKING ZAMZAM WATER
- Recommended to drink Zamzam water after Tawaf to refresh. Sunnah to drink to your fill.
- Say the Dua of Ibn Abbas (radiyallahu anhu). When he drank Zamzam, he said:
اللهم إني أسألك علما نافعا ورزقا واسعا وشفاء من كل داء وسقم برحمتك يا ارحم الراحمين
- Transliteration: Al-la-hum-ma in-ni as-’a-lu-ka il-man na-fi-’an wa-riz-qan wa-si-’an wa-shi-fa-’am min kul-li da-’in bi-rah-ma-ti-ka ya ar-ha-mar ra-hi-min
- Translation: O Allah! I ask You a useful knowledge and abundant blessings and cure to all kinds of sickness by Your mercy, O Most Merciful of the Merciful.
- However we should not confine ourselves to the mentioned prayer, but should ask Allah for His bounty in this life and in the Hereafter.
- Etiquette: It is advisable to face the Qiblah, say the name of Allah and thank Him after.
WHERE IS THE ZAMZAM WELL?
- Situated underground within the compound of the Sacred Mosque very close to the Ka’bah.
- At present, it is already closed. Only they provide water in taps and in gallons. Cannot actually see the spring, even if it is open.
- The well is located 18 meters from the Black Stone to the east of the door of Ka’bah, behind Maqam Ibrahim.
- It is clearly marked by a sign “ZAMZAM WATER WELL” which is 156 cms. above the actual well, under the Mataf (area where Tawaf is perfomed).
- In 1908 and 1973, chemical analyses were performed and proved that Zamzam water is indeed free of germs or pollutants.
- It is considered a mineral water, as its mineral content is 2000 mg/litre. It contained the following minerals: Calcium, Sodium, Magnesium, among many others. It is the richest mineral water with Calcium (200 mg/litre).
- Chemical tests proved that Zamzam water is exceptionally pure and has neither color nor taste
- By international health standards, especially those of the World Health Organization, Zamzam water is perfectly potable, has good health results and has high sodium content.
- It was also discovered, on evaporation, mineral content of Zamzam increases, however it has no adverse results on health, on the contrary, it is extremely beneficial.
- All the above tests proved that Zamzam water is pure and potable as per international standards.
- These can only confirm the miracles of the Prophetﷺ, whom Allah had said: “Nor does he speak out of caprice. It is nothing but a revelation revealed (Quran).” [An-Najm 53:3-4]
To be continued… Ihram, Miqat, Talbiyah