EID عيد (pl. AYAD عياد) IS DERIVED FROM THE WORD
- ‘Āda = he returned.
- Ya‘udu = he is returning, as if they are returning to it.
- ‘Ādah = custom/habit, as they have become accustomed to it.
- It is a stressed Sunnah (Sunnah Mu’akkadah).
- A Muslim has to attend the Salah where it is going to be offered in congregation.
- Wisdom behind the ruling: it is a day of showing one’s gratitude and happiness for finishing this act of worship and hoping for Allah’s acceptance.
SUNNAH OF EID
- Wake up early.
- Prepare for personal cleanliness. Take a Ghusl (complete bath) after Fajr. Brush your teeth…
- Dress up, putting on best clothes available, whether new or clean old ones.
- The Prophet ﷺ used to wear his most beautiful clothes and had a special cloak that he would wear on the two Eids and in Jum’ah (Friday) prayer.
- Use perfume (for men only).
- On Eid-Al-Adha, eat breakfast after prayer or after slaughtering your Udhiyah (sacrifice) if you are doing it.
WHO SHOULD GO?
- All Muslims are required to attend to participate in this joyous occasion.
- Men, women, married, single, young, old, menstruating women, women without Hijab
- Anyone who is able should pray (resident, traveler, in the mosque, at home…)
TIME OF SALATUL EID
- It begins from the time the sun is 3 metres above the horizon until the sun reaches its meridian
- It is Sunnah to perform Salah Al-Eid Al-Adha early in order to allow more time for the people to offer the sacrifice
PLACE OF SALATUL EID
- Offer Salat-Al-Eid in Jama’ah (congregation) in an open place except when weather is not permitting like rain, snow, dust storm…
- It can be done inside the Mosque but preferable to do it outside if there is no reason to do otherwise.
- The Prophet ﷺ prayed the 2 Eids in the outskirts of Madinah and he never prayed it in his Mosque, except once when it was raining.
STRUCTURE OF SALATUL EID
- Must be offered in congregation, consists of 2 Rak’ah (units).
- 1st Rak’ah: 7 additional Takbirs and 2nd Rak’ah: 5 additional Takbirs.
- After Salah is the by 2 Khutbah (sermon) which is not part of Salah – you can talk, you can leave… Sunnah to listen to it.
- Additional Takbirs and Khutbah are Sunnah.
- No Adhan, no Iqamah, no Sunnah Salah (not even Tahiyyat if done inside the Masjid).
TAKBIRATUL EID تكبيرات العيد
(He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allah [i.e. to say Takbir] for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him. [Al-Baqarah 2:185]
- Recite it on the way to the prayer ground until the beginning of Salatul Eid.
اللّهُ أكبر اللّهُ أكبر اللّهُ أكبر لا إلَهَ الا اللّه اللّهُ أكبر اللّهُ أكبر و لِلّه الحمدَ
- Transliteration: Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, La Ilaha Ilallah, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Wa Lillahil Hamd.
- Translation: Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest. There is no god but Allah. Allah is the greatest, Allah is the greatest, To Allah belongs the Praise.
CONGRATULATING ONE ANOTHER
- Go to prayer ground early.
- Preferable to go to the prayer ground on one way and come from it on another way
- Wisdom: to congratulate everyone.
- Jabir Ibn Nafis reports: “When the companions of the Prophet met each other on the day of Eid, they would say to each other: ‘Taqabbalallah Minna Wa Minkum.” (May Allah accepts from us and from you).'”